About a month before facing the Brazilian Mauricio Shogun in Boston, the controversial Chael Sonnen said on Tuesday, in the TV show "UFC Tonight", which renewed the contract with the UFC for five fights. In addition, the American said he intends descend back to middleweight (84kg) after "beat Shogun", as he put it. He will face Shogun in the category weight-heavyweight (93kg).
Announcing that a return to middleweight would be a requirement of your contract, said he plans to meet two of his oldest foes: Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva.
- There are two guys who want to face. The first is Vitor Belfort, because it is too much and is an amazing result. Second, is Wanderlei, I just find that going back to middleweight. The scenario has completely changed. I have a new contract and I am returning to my weight class - said Sonnen at "UFC Tonight".
Sonnen left the middleweights last year after suffering his second loss to then champion of the division, Anderson Silva at UFC 148 in July 2012. The American received a chance to fight for the title of the weights-heavyweight Jon Jones against and was defeated at UFC 159 last April. Shortly after, he accepted to face Shogun main event UFC event in Boston on August 17. Since then, middleweights gained a new champion: American Chris Weidman, who beat Anderson at UFC 162 and ended a sequence of 16 unbeaten fights inside the Octagon, and a reign of six years and nine months in the division.
Another novelty was revealed by Sonnen that he started training with compatriot Mark Muñoz at Reign MMA gym in California.