The Ultimate Fighting Championship will once again hold an event in Las Vegas the weekend of July 4th. The organization formally announced today that the middleweight champion of the UFC ® Undisputed King and pound-for-pound Anderson Silva returns to the Octagon ® at Saturday, July 6, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena to face the undefeated No. 1 challenger Chris Weidman. That's not all: the same week in July, will also mark the return of the UFC Fan Expo ®, as well as the week of fighting, a series of events for fans, shows and appearances that will count on the participation of its fighters and UFC favorite personalities.
"The best pound-for-pound in the world, Anderson Silva defends middleweight title with seeking a record for the 11th time on July 6, when he faces undefeated Chris Weidman," said UFC President Dana White. "With Weidman is 9-0 in his career and has an amazing wrestling and strength. He said he will shock the world at UFC 162 and end the reign of Anderson on the middleweight division. At UFC 162, the UFC Fan Expo and Week Fights, This will be an amazing weekend for fight fans. You have to be in Las Vegas this week for July 4th! "
Besides fighting Anderson-Weidman, Frankie Edgar (01/04/15 fighting for Toms River, NJ), a former lightweight champion and currently ranked third in the pen in the world, faces the Brazilian Charles Oliveira (16 - 3, 1 NC, fighting for Guaruja, Sao Paulo, Brazil), while former Strikeforce middleweight making his UFC debut, Tim Kennedy (15-4, fighting for Austin, Texas) fight with Roger Gracie of Rio de Janeiro ( 6-1).
In addition, fourth in the rankings, "The Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung (13-3, fighting for Po-Hang, South Korea) returns after a year away due to injury to butt heads with the second ranking Ricardo Lamas (13-2, fighting for Chicago, Illinois), in a fight that could determine the next challenger for the featherweight title, while the fifth-ranked penalty Cub Swanson (19-5, fighting for Palm Springs, Calif.) faces the sixth-ranked
German Dennis Siver (21-8).
Other fights of UFC 162 include:
- The star, seventh-ranked middleweight Mark Munoz (12-3, fighting for Lake Forrest, California) against the competitive heavy-handed and 10 th in Tim Boetsch (12-3, fighting for Sunbury, Pa.).
- Chris Leben (22-9, fighting for Oahu, Hawaii) vs. Andrew Craig (8-1, fighting for Houston, Texas).
- From Northern Ireland, Norman Parke (17-2) against the Japanese Kazuki Tokudome (12-3-1) in a lightweight showdown.
- The Fribourg Edson Barboza (11-1) takes the Montreal native John Makdessi (11-2).
- Heavyweights Shane Del Rosario (8-1, fighting for Irvine, Calif.) vs. Dave Herman (21-5, fighting for Temecula, California).
- Means middleweight Seth Baczynski (17-7, fighting for Apache Junction, Arizona) vs. Brian Melancon from Houston (6-2).
- In Portland, Mike Pierce (16-5) vs. David Mitchell (12-2, fighting for Santa Rosa, California) in a welterweight fight.
Tickets for UFC ® 162: Silva vs. Weidman, presented by Bud Light ®, go on sale Friday, May 10 at 10 am PT and are priced at $ 1,200, $ 850, $ 600, $ 400, $ 250 and $ 125. Tickets will be available at all stores in Las Vegas Ticketmaster (select Smith's Food and Drug Centers and Ritmo Latino). Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. To purchase by phone with a credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com. Ticket prices do not include service charges.
With information from the UFC